Monday 8 February 2016

January Book Review - Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell



Each month I'm going to do a book review, I absolutely love reading and getting lost in a book, falling in love with the characters and story.

This month I decided to choose a book genre that I don't usually read as I'm more of a Crime, Mystery, Murder Detective book fan.
So choosing Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell was totally out of my comfort zone when it comes to reading.

However, I'm so glad I did choose it as I loved it from the first page to the last.

Eleanor & Park is about two teenagers who meet on the school bus, Eleanor is the new (awkward) girl at school and Park is the slightly popular half korean boy.
It's a book which will remind you of those awkward times at school when you had your first crush and possible love. Both characters have a lot going on in their complicated family lives which brings them closer together.

What I loved the most about the book is how real it seemed, there were no far fetched romantic events, in fact the two characters are like chalk and cheese which makes them perfect for each other. What happens in both of their lives is something that has/will be happening in many peoples lives that you can actually relate to the characters and that's what made me fall in love with them even more.

With the book being set in the 80's there aren't any smartphones or laptops they communicate via landline, mix tapes and conversations face to face which is quite refreshing to read.

I'd recommend Eleanor & Park to everyone, even if like me you're not a fan of romance books and would prefer a good murder mystery, because you can relate to the characters and it's very realistic it makes it a book for pretty much everyone to read.
I'll definitely be checking out Rainbow Rowell's other books.

I'm looking forward to my next book review for February, make sure to follow me on Bloglovin' so you don't miss it and if there's a book you'd recommend I read and review please let me know :)

Maxine x 

1 comment :

  1. The only book of Rainbow Rowells that I've read is Fangirl and I loved it! This one looks so good and I really need to give it a read (along with her other books)!

    Jemima x
    anotherrantingreader.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete